Saturday 28 March 2015

Meditation: At the hour of my death (Psalm 22)

GOOD FRIDAY 2015

Holy Week takes us on a very human journey with Jesus. 

So much Church teaching comes from this story, and sometimes we can get caught up in the meaning and significance of it all. Then we may not give our attention to Jesus' very human anguish and integrity and personal courage - and the roller-coaster of hope and despair that was his last week. 

And then we may not hear the personal message of that for each of us! 
Let Jesus speak to you through David in Psalm 22.

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
    I have cried desperately for help,
but still I die alone.

During the night I called to you, my God,
    but did not hear your answer.
I call again today; I feel a gentle touch
    but still I get no rest.

In all ages your people put their trust in you;
    you calmed their fears,
you showed them hope to strengthen their courage.
    They trusted you, and you saved them.

But I am no longer a human being;
    I am without hope. Today I die
despised and scorned by everyone.
    “You relied on the Lord” they say.
“Why doesn't he save you?”

You have always been with me –
    always given me meaning and purpose.
It was you who brought me safely through my birth,
    and when I was a baby, it was you who kept me safe.
I have relied on you since the day I was born,
    and you have always walked with me.

Hold me close now!
    Trouble is near, and people cannot help.
My strength is gone,
    gone like water spilled on the ground.
All my bones are out of joint;
    my heart is like melted wax.
I am left for dead in the dust.

Always you have been with me when I needed you; 
    my suffering you shared.
Never did you turn away,
    but answered my cries of pain. 


Let me cling to you now in my terror.

O my Creator God, hold me! Wrap me in your warm light, 
    suckle me, let me rest quiet in your arms.
Bring me home.



Suggestions for meditation
Always begin by offering your time to God: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time when I am reaching out to you" and then a few moments reminding yourself of some of the blessings God has given you - the clear signs of God's love for you.

Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.

Listen for Jesus' personal message for you.

If you would prefer a Bible reading I suggest the real Psalm 22.

You can begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds. After a minute or two focused on your breathing, move your focus to the word below. 

Then spend 5, or 10, or 20 minutes with the word Alone or the word Death. Either of these words can bring great consolation - but if you prefer a more positive word, try Hope

Each time your attention moves away from the word, push the distraction gently aside and return to the word ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).

I have published early this week and will use this psalm (and each of these words) for my meditations during the week.

You may need a countdown clock. 

At the end thank God, and return to your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment