Saturday 21 March 2015

Meditation: Psalm 5

Listen to my words, O Lord, and hear my prayers. 
Listen to my cry for help, my God and king! 
I raise my hands to you, O Lord; you hear my voice in the morning;
at sunrise I offer my prayer and wait for your answer. 

Because of your great love you reveal 
yourself to me in these moments of beauty 
and still perfection.
You come to me in your creation. 

I have enemies in the world - but 
they never damage me as my internal demons.
Lord, I resist my distractions and resentments, 
but I call on your help.

Help me deflect my anxieties and fears;
to put to one side thoughts of doom, 
lies to separate me 
from my people and my creator. 

Lord, give me a mind rooted in affection 
and compassion so that your path for me
remains clear and well signposted.
In your love

lead me to do your will; make your way plain for me to follow.

Help me cling to your love and constancy.
I know my false steps - but too
I know that you see me at my birth 
and as the sun sets on my arrival. 

My spirit finds safety in you - my heart lifts in joy.
Protect me. Guide me and all who seek you
my God; your love enfolds me and holds me
and makes me shine. 

Suggestions for meditations
Always begin by offering your time to God: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time when I am reaching out to you" and then a few moments reminding yourself of some of the blessings God has given you - the clear signs of God's love for you.
Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.
David had plenty of external enemies - but had to fight his internal demons all his life: his hungers and ambitions and the tension between what he could get away with as God's chosen and all-powerful king, and the deep certainties of his heart.
If you would prefer a Bible reading I suggest Psalm 5.
You can begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds.
Then spend 5, or 10, or 20 minutes with the phrase Guide me. Every time you drift off the word, gently remind yourself and come back to it ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).
You may need a countdown clock. 
At the end thank God, and return to your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment