Tuesday 24 March 2015

Meditation: Healing touch

Each one reaching deeper 
and touching more than I can see:
   touch of hand
   touch of mind
   touch of spirit
   touch of healing.
Each touch - reaching beyond the me I see
into the depth of me - into my very soul.

Touch of a brother or sister transformed 
each time through the touch of our Creator.
Your touch, graced by God's spirit, 
lights and enfolds and heals my soul.

Who can know the power of that touch?
Human senses note a brief light contact. But
who can know the power spirit adds,
the touch to my heart of the rainbow?

Suggestions for meditations
Always begin by offering your time to God: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time as I reach out to you" and then a few moments reminding yourself of some of the blessings God has given you - the clear signs of God's love for you.

Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.

We have each felt moments when we KNOW that we are more than just our body and brain and needs: we each have had hints of an amazing contact with another person (also created by God - our creator). We are graced creations: made in God's image - and God also extends his blessing to every moment, every need. And the more of God's grace and blessing we share with others, the more we are capable of sharing. God's healing grace is not doled out in teaspoons - and when we allow ourselves to feel it, we will never forget it.

If you would prefer a Bible reading I suggest Jesus touch in Matthew 19,13-14. There are plenty of stories of Jesus healing through touch - but try to see what these children felt when Jesus touched them. I often wonder how their lives changed through the touch of his hand, the touch of his words and the touch of his spirit. 

You can begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds.

Then spend 5, or 10, or 20 minutes with the phrase Touch me. Every time you drift off the phrase, gently remind yourself and come back to it ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).

You may need a countdown clock. 
At the end thank God, and return to your day.




No comments:

Post a Comment