Tuesday 17 March 2015

Meditation: Graces

In the very act of my creation,
in my making in God's image some 
God-blessing entered me and 
is part of who I am.

I am blessed.

This spark of God within me is 
always in me, masked by human senses
and appetites, denied by human thoughts, 
startling me with flashes of beauty and vision.

I am blessed 
by God.

God daily adds strength and grace 
and love and beauty to my life;
my richness grows in richness -  
God-blessing drawing new blessings.

I am blessed 
by God in my beginning.

Every need draws new strength,
new insight, new certainty,
new ability to step beyond 
human perceptions and physics.

I am blessed 
by God in my beginning, now, and always.


Suggestions for meditations
Always begin by offering your time to God: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time as I reach out to you" and then a few moments reminding yourself of some of the blessings God has given you - the clear signs of God's love for you.

Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.

We have each felt moments when we KNOW that we are more than just our body and brain and needs: we each have had hints of immortality. We are graced creations: made in God's image - but God also extends his blessing to every moment, every need. And the more of God's grace we accept, the more we are capable of accepting. God's grace is not doled out in teaspoons - it is a flood.

If you would prefer a Bible reading I suggest any of the Kingdom parables in Matthew 13: stories of huge unexpected and unearned increase. 

You can begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds.

Then spend 5, or 10, or 20 minutes with the word Graces. Every time you drift off the word, gently remind yourself and come back to it ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).

You may need a countdown clock. 

At the end thank God, and return to your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment