Friday 3 April 2015

Meditation: Hymn to Glory: Easter 2015

It may be helpful to see Jesus as a man 
who always did the right thing;
who knew his God in his heart and 
in the teachings he was raised with.

He knew they would have revenge for his OCD
but still spoke his beliefs,
still did the things he needed to do. 
And they killed him for his nuisance.

It may be helpful to consider that
he knew his God as praying people always have.
He knew his own spirit because
it is in his spirit that he prayed, at one with his Creator.

It may be helpful to remember that
he was first, a man of faith;
such faith in his unity with God
to truly make them one and

all-power, all-knowing, all-loving.

It may be helpful to project that thought
to ourselves. Jesus didn't show himself after his death
to prove to us that we too will rise.
He already knew that - had always known -

as every other praying person knows 
intuitively, created by God and like God,
we cannot die. Our natural state is
as part of God living the unending now!

It may be helpful to consider that our emphasis on
the resurrection is our humble attempt
to see proof that Jesus is God.
But maybe that was just the first premise.

It may be that the real point of Easter
is that each one of us is also at one 
with our Creator; also part of the
all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving.

And then we may begin to see that 
as was foretold, this sure knowledge
can indeed move mountains,
forgive all wrongs and resentments,
heal each illusion of fear and limit,
perform wonders greater than Jesus,
and transform

this beautiful creation, every person, every part of it
into the eternal and perfect kingdom our Creator dreamed it to be 
   for us
all one
all good
all loving
all glory
    daughters and sons of God joining Jesus 
all Christ.



Jesus is always present for us - if we ask, if we are prepared to see him. 

And when we don't ask, and are not looking for him, he is there - but we just don't notice because we are not looking for him or listening for him. We just don't have eyes to see or ears to hear.

He is present because he is part of us - and we are part of him in the body of Christ. Look. Listen. We must do all we can to make that truth real for ourselves: pray, meditate, read, talk. Go to church.

One of my favourite Catholic quotes is from Pope St Leo the Great 1600 years ago: Our sharing in the body and blood of Christ has no other purpose than to transform us into that which we receive. 

May we each take steps (however small) along that path of self-awareness each day.

Suggestions for meditation
Always begin by offering your time to God: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time when I am reaching out to you" and then a few moments reminding yourself of some of the blessings God has given you - the clear signs of God's love for you.

Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.

Listen for Jesus' personal message for you.

If you would prefer a Bible reading I suggest John 14, 10-12
Do you not believe, Philip, that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I have spoken to you, Jesus said to his disciples, do not come from me. The Father, who remains in me, does his own work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. If not, believe because of the things I do. I am telling you the truth: those who believe in me will do what I do—yes, they will do even greater things, because I am going to the Father. 
  1. Read this passage or the meditation slowly a couple of times.
  2. What word of phrase jumps out to speak to you?
  3. Why? Try to put yourself into those words. Maybe imagine Jesus speaking, and reply.
  4. Then spend 5, or 10, or 20 minutes with those words, or the words Joining Jesus. You might want to begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds. After a minute or two focused on your breathing, move your focus to the words you have chosen. 

Each time your attention moves away from the words, push the distraction gently aside and return to the word ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).

You may need a countdown clock. 

At the end thank God, and return to your day.



No comments:

Post a Comment