Thursday 23 April 2015

Meditation: The Kingdom of God is within you

Some Pharisees asked Jesus when the Kingdom of God would come. His answer was, “The Kingdom of God does not come in such a way as to be seen. No one will say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’; because the Kingdom of God is within you. 
Luke 17:20-21
I have seen several recent versions of the Bible that translate this as the "Kingdom of God is among you" as if the Kingdom is separate from me or is a physical thing. Luke is very clear that it is "within" us - and seems to contrast the world we see, with our inner spiritual reality. So, he seems to say, if we are to be on watch for the Kingdom, we need to look inward.

For me, that is a bit of an easy answer. The same Creator made both, and to me inner and outer are linked. Or maybe I become more aware of the world around me when I begin to be aware of the world within!

And what about this: maybe it is a responsibility of each one of us to develop awareness of the Kingdom within us, so we can see it around us. In other words it may be that the kingdom of God is here within each of us right now - but we do not have eyes to see it, or ears to hear it. 

But if we cannot see it within, how can the world around us be anything but ordinary, when it is actually extra-ordinary! As I become more aware of the Creator within, how can I ignore the Creator's work around me?

I am born of heaven
in the image of my Creator,
and if sometimes I am not aware of that
it is still always true;

there is something of God
within me.

Without, the world is daily brighter. 
Within, only glimpses through a warped mirror.
But if I relax my focus,
in the corner of my eye I see 

fragments of the world of God about and
within me.

The world outside sparkles.
My heart warms in response
and I know
my two worlds are linked

by the same Creator, without, and also 
within me.

The picture grows daily more clear.
My inward eye sees more;
my whole awareness grows sharp
within and out ... 

in the presence of my Creator, outside and 
within me.

Suggestions for meditation
Always begin by offering your time to God: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time when I am reaching out to you" and then a few moments reminding yourself of some of the blessings God has given you - the clear signs of God's love for you.

Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.

Listen for Jesus' personal message for you.

If you would prefer a Bible reading I suggest Luke 17, 20-24
Some Pharisees asked Jesus when the Kingdom of God would come. 
His answer was, “The Kingdom of God does not come in such a way as to be seen. No one will say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’ because the Kingdom of God is within you." 
Then he said to the disciples, “The time will come when you will wish you could see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it. There will be those who will say to you, ‘Look, over there!’ or, ‘Look, over here!’ But don't go out looking for it.
As the lightning flashes across the sky and lights it up from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day. 
  1. Read this passage or the meditation slowly a couple of times.
  2. What word of phrase jumps out to speak to you?
  3. Why? Try to put yourself into those words. Maybe imagine Jesus speaking, and reply.
  4. Then spend 5, or 10, or 20 minutes with those words, or the words Kingdom or Within me. You might want to begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds. After a minute or two focused on your breathing, move your focus to the word/s you have chosen. 
Each time your attention moves away from the word/s, push the distraction gently aside and return to the word ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).

You may need a countdown clock. 

At the end thank God, and return to your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment