Thursday 7 May 2015

Meditation: My Promise (Psalm 101)

Psalm 101: David's psalm of Re-dedication

My song is about truth and honour,
   and I sing it to you, O Lord.

Each day, each hour, I commit myself 
   to take one step on my path to you.
I will look upon what is true, and make 
   each hour, each moment, my prayer to you.

I fear those who deny God in their lives;
   their influence draws so many away.   
I will stay away from people who live for pleasure
   and will have nothing to do with those who use others.

I will walk away from all who whisper
   lies and destructive deceits about others;
I will not tolerate anyone
   who believes they have special entitlement.

I will work only with those seeking truth
    and will make them strong in my regard;
those who search with honesty
    will I trust and hear.

Those who deceive themselves or others
    will wait at the side;
day after day I will speak out against
   the liars and hypocrites in our land.

I will avoid all who seek first their pleasure and comfort 
   so their temptations are far from me.
My song is of truth and honour,
   and I sing it to you, O Lord.

Suggestions for meditation
Always begin by offering your time to God: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time when I am reaching out to you, and ask your blessing" and then a few moments reminding yourself of some of the blessings God has given you - the clear signs of God's love for you.

Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.

Listen for Jesus' personal message for you.

If you would prefer a traditional Bible reading I suggest Psalm 101
My song is about loyalty and justice, and I sing it to you, O Lord.
My conduct will be faultless. When will you come to me?
I will live a pure life in my house and will never tolerate evil. 
I hate the actions of those who turn away from God;     
I will have nothing to do with them.
I will not be dishonest and will have no dealings with evil. 
I will get rid of anyone who whispers evil things about someone else; 
I will not tolerate anyone who is proud and arrogant.
I will approve of those who are faithful to God and will let them live in my palace.
Those who are completely honest will be allowed to serve me.
No liar will live in my palace; no hypocrite will remain in my presence.
Day after day I will destroy the wicked in our land;
I will expel all who are evil from the city of the Lord.
  1. Read this passage or the meditation slowly a couple of times.
  2. What word of phrase jumps out to speak to you?
  3. Why? Try to put yourself into those words. Maybe imagine Jesus speaking, and reply.
  4. Then spend 5, or 10, or 20 minutes with those words, or the words MY PROMISEYou might want to begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds. After a minute or two focused on your breathing, move your focus to the word/s you have chosen. 
Each time your attention moves away from the word/s, push the distraction gently aside and return to the word ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).

You may need a countdown clock. 

At the end thank God, and return to your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment