Sunday 6 March 2016

Pilgrimage to Easter: Day 27

Meditation for Monday 7 March
... on today's readings

 











Thus says the Lord: Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth. 
Isaiah 65:17


THE ROYAL OFFICIAL'S STORY

My son was dying.

Before sunrise I saddled my horse and started riding. We had all heard the magician was in Cana - and when my physicians told me during the night that my son's life was in the hands of God - he seemed my best hope.

I nearly killed my horses - but it still took until noon. 

And then he wouldn't talk to me. He wouldn't come with me. He seemed annoyed that people wouldn't believe without spectacular magic, but I didn't need that - I just wanted my little boy back.

Finally he told me to go home "your son lives". And I felt it. 

I thanked him and left. 

He clearly was not a magician. No incantations. No flashes of light. No hat passed round for money. No claims of credit. No tricks. Just power I could feel. Certainty.

The horses needed a quieter ride so I had to stable them half way home. Left again before light. And then servants met me. So excited. He lives.

Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth. 

Nothing has changed. Everything has changed. 
I started the day a highly evolved animal tuned for survival and winning and prestige. But suddenly I see none of that matters. 

Nothing seems different. Everything seems different.
My house is the same, my job, my wife, my son.
My son lives! How can I go back to that life knowing
God walks with us on the earth?

Everything looks normal. But nothing is normal.
God is here. Power is here. New creation is here. 
Life is here. Open your eyes!
My life goes on. 
But on a new earth of wonder and love and my son! 

Lo, I have created new heavens and a new earth. 

Suggestions for meditation
Always begin by offering your time to God and asking for the grace to grow closer: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time as I reach out to you, and ask that you guide me now, and each day, closer to you".

The exact words of the prayer are not important but you do need a firm intention to open yourself to God's input.

Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.

Listen for the personal message for you. There will always be one word or phrase that will reach into your heart. Think of it as the personal meaning God has for you alone!


If you would prefer a more authoritative reading to focus your meditation, try this from one of today's readings, John 4:49-53
The royal official said to him,
“Sir, come down before my child dies.”
Jesus said to him, “You may go; your son will live.”
The man believed what Jesus said to him and left.
While the man was on his way back,
his slaves met him and told him that his boy would live.
He asked them when he began to recover.
They told him,
“The fever left him yesterday, about one in the afternoon.”
The father realized that just at that time Jesus had said to him,
“Your son will live,”
Focus on a significant word or phrase in this passage or the meditation for a few moments.

Is there a word of phrase that jumps out to speak to you?

Why? Try to put yourself into those words. Maybe imagine Jesus speaking, and reply.

Then spend 5, or 10, or 15 minutes with your word from Jesus, or the phrase CHANGE or CREATION.

You need a clear intention to empty your mind of random thoughts (you won't be entirely successful but you need the intention).

You might want to begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds.

After a minute or two focused on your breathing, move your focus to the word/s you have chosen.

Each time your attention moves away from the word/s, push the distraction gently aside and return to the word ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).

You may need a countdown clock.

At the end thank God, and return to your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment