Friday 12 February 2016

Pilgrimage to Easter: Day 4. Alternative meditation.

Meditation for Saturday 13 February
Second thoughts ...
... from the readings of the day:
Jesus saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” And leaving everything behind, he got up and followed him.
Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were at table with them.  
Luke 5:27-28

Levi's story

I had a great job. Everyone says so. My mother boasts about me to her friends. 

Can't say I am popular - but not many bureaucrats are. Well paid - and with the ability to supplement my income if I want to push the boundaries a bit. Know what I mean? 

Plenty of good middle class friends - good social life. My wife seems happy and is popular with our friends. Kids have a good teacher. Seem happy, if a bit isolated from the rough kids. Always thought that was a good thing.

So I should have been happier. But I kept thinking that I wasn't making a difference. Perhaps I should be a teacher or a priest or a social worker - maybe a writer who will change people's lives. Something more worthwhile than tax collector.

Then, this morning, I was at work and this ragged preacher turned up. Follower of John's I think. Dirty - smelly - you know how they are: bit wild-eyed and too preoccupied with God-things to worry about tidiness.

Talked about changing our lives. I didn't want to get involved - but he was saying exactly what I was thinking. It was very strange.

As he finished he looked at me. Me! "Come with me" he said. "Leave all your stuff" he said. "Got a new job for you" he said.

This is crazy, I thought - but I find myself leaving the queue of people waiting for me with money in their hands, and going. Feeling younger than I had in years. 

Invited him home to meet the family - still thinking maybe I should make some excuse. But you know, I really wanted to go with him - despite the fact that it was the craziest thing I ever heard of!

Next thing I am inviting a few friends we met on the way and before you know it we're organising a party - a party! at my place. Tonight!

I don't know how I am going to tell my wife. 

Maybe I'll wait until after she's met him.


Suggestions for meditation
Always begin by offering your time to God and asking for the grace to grow closer: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time when I am reaching out to you and ask that you guide me each day closer to you".

The exact words of the prayer are not important but you do need a firm intention to open yourself to God's input.

Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.

Listen for the personal message for you. There will always be one word or phrase that will reach into your heart. Think of it as the personal meaning God has for you alone!

If you would prefer a more authoritative reading to focus your meditation, try this from one of today's readings
Luke 5:27-32
Jesus saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” And leaving everything behind, he got up and followed him.  
Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were at table with them. 
The Pharisees and their scribes complained to his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”  
Jesus said to them in reply, “Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners.”
Focus on a significant word or phrase in this passage or the meditation for a few moments.

What word of phrase jumps out to speak to you?

Why? Try to put yourself into those words. Maybe imagine Jesus speaking, and reply.

Then spend 5, or 10, or 15 minutes with your word from Jesus, or the word CALLED

You need a clear intention to empty your mind of random thoughts (you won't be entirely successful but you need the intention). 

You might want to begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds

After a minute or two focused on your breathing, move your focus to the word/s you have chosen. 

Each time your attention moves away from the word/s, push the distraction gently aside and return to the word ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).

You may need a countdown clock.

At the end thank God, and return to your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment