Wednesday 29 June 2016

Meditation: The fullness of life


I have come that you may have life - and have it to the full. Jesus












Julian of Norwich

All shall be well, I'm telling you, let the winter come and go
All shall be well again, I know.
... from Sydney Carter's song, The Bells of Norwich


Although many look there, it is not 
in travel, fun or richness of experience -
or even friends, family and lively conversation,
that we find the promised fullness of life.

  Give me your worries and cares, 
  your grudges and angers and fears.
  These are barriers in your search for love.
  Just let them go: all will be well.

We will not find fullness in good food, or wine, 
in what we own, or in our hoarded security - it is
only in pouring out love, freely, to empty our hearts, creating a void to fill with new love.

  Give me your worries and cares, 
  your grudges and angers and fears.
  These are barriers in your search for love.
  Just let them go: all will be well.

When we empty our hearts, a Spring-tide of love
roars in, white-capped, overflowing, overwhelming. 
All of creation floods in, all made in love, breaking 
our poor hearts, washed in the lavish love of our God.

  Give me your worries and cares, 
  your grudges and angers and fears.
  These are barriers in your search for love.
  Give them to me: all will be well.

Suggestions for meditation
Always begin by offering your time to God and asking for the grace to grow closer: something like "My loving God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things. I give you this time as I reach out to you, and ask that you guide me now, and each day, closer to you".

The exact words of the prayer are not important but you do need a firm intention to open yourself to God's input.

Read the mediation over slowly a couple of times.

Listen for the personal message for you. There will always be one word or phrase that will reach into your heart. Think of it as the personal meaning God has for you alone!


If you would prefer a more authoritative reading to focus your meditation, try John 10, 7-10 
Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 
All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. 
I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Re-read the passage or the meditation - maybe read it slowly aloud.

Is there a word or phrase that jumps out to speak to you?

Why? Try to put yourself into those words. Maybe imagine Jesus speaking, and reply. 
        

Then spend 5, or 10, or 15 minutes with your word from Jesus, or the word LOVE.

You need a clear intention to empty your mind of random thoughts (you won't be entirely successful but you need the intention).

You might want to begin the meditation using the breathing exercise I suggest in We have two minds.

After a minute or two focused on your breathing, move your focus to the word/s you have chosen.

Each time your attention moves away from the word/s, push the distraction gently aside and return to the word ("without the intervention of analytical thought" as The Cloud of Unknowing puts it).

You may need a countdown clock.

At the end thank God, and return to your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment